Feb 27, 2008

Praise

Today was Abby's surgery to get ear tubes. Yes, I know lots of kids get them and it's a very simple procedure, but this was MY baby being put under anesthesia and taken away from me. Everything went wonderfully with the procedure. It was so fast we couldn't believe it! We walked away from her at 8:56 and at 9:08 they called for us to come join her in the recovery room. Barely time to worry- what an answer to prayer. Last night I just watched her and thought about how blessed we are to have her. It doesn't take a routine surgery to make me thankful for my beautiful little girl, but it definitely kicks up my gratitude a bit. I've decided that soon I will post "the story of Abby" for those that don't know just what a miracle it is for her to be here with us. In the meantime, let me share the best and worst parts of today with you:
The worst- apparently my little Abigail falls into the 15% that wake up "irritable" from anesthesia. "Irritable" is the nicest word you can use to describe it. Aggressive, violent, pissed-off, furious, and growling do it better justice. Luckily the anger only lasted about 30 minutes, but man, it was terrible while it lasted. To those that have mistakenly awoken me from a nap- this actually was worse than that!
The best- 1. every person that walked into the presurgery room commented on how sweet or smart or beautiful she is. The nurse's mouth fell open when she heard Abby talking to a stuffed frog and saying, "You are so cute. You are so, so, so cute froggie!" 2. after having medicine (narcotics I believe) shot up her nose to calm her down before anesthesia, Abby was sitting in a rocking chair with us and she looked at me with her drugged eyes and said, "Don't worry, Mommy." What have I done to deserve a 21 month old who comforts me when she's the one in pain?


Praise is all I have to give for this one.

2 comments:

Lois Russell said...

I KNOW HOW BEAUTIFUL AND LOVABLE AND SWEET SHE IS, AND YOU JUST STOP SAYING SHE WOKE UP IN A BAD HUMOR! GIVE HER HUGS FROM HER GRANNY

Anonymous said...

Waking up in a grouchy mood is an inherited trait, she gets it from her Granny! :-\ And she was probably having a fantastic dream that she just didn't want to leave behind!