Feb 26, 2009

Balance


This week Abby and I had an appointment in Dallas where she was offered a modeling contract with an agency. I'm bouncing back and forth through all the emotions that I think are normal for this situation: excitement, pride, nervousness, amazement, and thankfulness.

But in the midst of all this chaos, I have had only one thought running circles in my head and my heart: Abby is beautiful.

Oh, of course I've always known she was cute, but I'm her mom. And let's be honest, sometimes mothers aren't the best judges. But now there's this worldly affirmation that she's pleasing on the eyes. And to be honest, it terrifies me.

I realize that I have to find a way to raise her and teach her and guide her into walking a very fine line.

Yes, I want her to always know that she's beautiful. To have that self-confidence I've always lacked. But I don't want her to focus on it. I don't want it to be her downfall.

I've always thought that the most beautiful women are the ones who are that way unknowingly. I want Abby to be that woman. To describe herself as spunky. Independent. Smart. Loving. Faithful. Honest. All the things she is that have nothing to do with how she looks.

It's going to be a long road. I'm open to advice. And prayer.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

3 comments:

the vanderveer's: said...

i only have advice on the modeling...i did it as a kid and bought my 1st car with the money!

jen said...

sweet little beautiful wonderful crazy little child! you will handle this all well, my friend. i will definitely call you out on it if you don't!

Kent, Jodie and Asher said...

I know that you will handle it the way that God wants you to and you will raise her in the most Godly way. I will be praying for you jeanie.