Jun 19, 2008

Perfect Balance

For those that don't already know, Matt is the chef in our family. Being the cook was a survival instinct that kicked in after about 2 weeks of marriage. I still remember the surprise in his voice when he said, "You really do eat cereal for dinner." I felt sorry for him then so I cooked the next night... it was met with the response, "Um... there are three types of carbs on my plate." So Matt was put in charge of dinner.

Amazingly enough, I don't feel as though I've failed as a wife in this area. Because for as much as Matt loves healthy balanced meals, I love baking. I've always loved it. I made my first cake at Granny's house; I chose to make a red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting... all from scratch. It was delicious! Since then, I've continued my love affair with cakes and added cookies, muffins, and breads to my menu.

So you see Matt and I have the perfect balance... he makes an amazing dinner, and I make a sweet dessert to top off the evening.

And because I always encounter people who don't understand how I love baking but hate cooking, here's my argument: Baking has a magical element to it. When you're cooking on the stove top and you're throwing ingredients in the pan, you see what's happening. You watch the meal come together and you know just what you're going to have in the end. Baking is different. You mix everything together, you put it in the oven, and then magic happens. Because even if you peek every five minutes you'll see something different each time. What you take out of the oven will never look like what you put in.

Tuesday's creation: a lemon glazed buttermilk bundt cake with slivered almonds:

0 comments: