Jan 20, 2009

Mending

Doctors occasionally have to break an already broken bone in order for it to heal correctly. I've been lucky enough to never experience it personally, but I think there's a similar process for mending a heart. When a heart has hardened due to sin, anger, regret, shame, pride, or unrequited love the only way to soften it is to break it again and straighten out the mess. The second break may be made with God's leading and all the love in the world, but it is still going to hurt like hell.

To anyone else dealing with a heartbreak, here are a few words of comfort:
"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken."
- Psalm 34: 17-20

4 comments:

David and Bethany said...

What a great verse--just what I needed to hear today!

The Shaffers said...

praying for your heart!

Heather said...

We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

I've had broken bones that had to be rebroken to be set. And I've had the broken heart and broken spirit. I'll take the bones any time. They are much less painful. I'm waiting for the painkillers to start working.